Local Authority Checks

Checks will be made on all members of your household should they be aged 18 or over. This will include a DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service). Your right to work in the UK will be checked as will where you have lived and for how long, both within the local authority area as well as outside.

A check will be made as to whether you or any member of the household has been known to Children’s Social Care and, if yes, information will be obtained from the relevant social worker.

If you have moved to the UK within the last 10 years, checks may also be conducted through Protecting Children and Uniting Families Across Borders. The relevant Consulate may also be contacted to verify the details on all members of the household aged 10 and over.

If you have children of school age their schools are likely to be contacted. This will be with your permission with the purpose being to gather general information as to your suitability and ability to support a foster child’s education.